Max and the Tag-along Moon

Written and illustrated by Floyd Cooper
Reviewed by Sofia Puorro

The moon is a powerful symbol that traverses borders, cultures, and languages. In Max and the Tag-along Moon, Floyd Cooper skillfully uses this symbol to represent the un-waning love a child has for his grandfather. It is a beautifully illustrated, yet simple story about the power of familial love to overcome time and distance. When saying goodbye, Max’s grandfather tells him he has only to look at the bright light of the moon to think of him, and so Max spends the entire ride home gleefully watching the great, glowing orb and later falls asleep soothed at the thought of his grandfather’s presence.

This book is very well suited to students in the primary grades who are just beginning school. It may be particularly apt for the first days of Kindergarten when students are adjusting to being away from their families for long periods of time. I think this picture book could remind students that their loved ones are never really far away and make the transition to school a bit smoother. I also think this book could be applied to older grades to talk about object symbolism. If upper elementary students are engaging in a creative or narrative writing piece, this could serve as a useful mentor text for writing a powerful and omniscient symbol into one’s story.

Another purpose this book serves is everyday representation of BIPOC. For primary grades and upper elementary alike, it is essential that students see representations of Black children, adults, and families in books that are not about Blackness, racism, or overcoming obstacles. In this way, the book could serve not only as a soothing story for anxious kindergarteners or a mentor text for 5th grade writers, but also as an opening to a conversation about our pre-conceived notions of Black families. Before the read-aloud, a teacher could lead a discussion about students’ predictions about the book and what the illustration on the cover leads them to think. After the read-aloud the teacher could ask whether the students’ expectations matched the story. This would allow any classroom to engage in a discussion about inherent bias and racially-based assumptions.

Though this book seems simplistic, it has many layers and potential uses. I think it’s best quality is its versatility and I highly recommend using it for any of these activities and more.

3 thoughts on “Max and the Tag-along Moon

1. Sofia,
    I love your commentary about everyday representation and what you say about challenging bias. Your suggestions for how to use the book in primary and upper grades is spot on too!

2. Sofia –

This book sounds really great. I noticed that you described many different scenarios of how this book could be used in an elementary classroom, with specific grade recommendations. Thanks for the great review!

3. What a lovely review – you are such a lesson-smith with your read-alouds. I appreciate a fellow teacher who can translate a path from book to lesson ranging from K-5 – I tip my hat :).