Everyday Representation Matters (and the burden of being “important”)

A recent Twitter strand has me thinking about the importance of everyday representation in children’s literature. Melinda Low commented that books about BIPOC characters or characters from marginalized communities are frequently applauded for being “important.” She specifically addresses non-serious “fun” books in this category. Her commentary raises the issue of everyday representation and why it matters in children’s literature.

Yes, we need books that tackle serious content of struggle and triumph. Children’s books should tell these stories, particularly if they offer narratives of agency and empowerment by BIPOC authors and illustrators. For example, everyone (and I mean everyone) should read The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander. It is a stunning book that gives me chills every single time I read it. It tops the list of important books (and if it is not chosen for the Caldecott award this year, I will riot) .

But we also need books that are fun and exciting (silly even!) that feature diverse characters. Or books that are about the everyday experiences of life like having a new sibling, losing a tooth, fighting with your best friend and that feature diverse main characters. Books with diverse characters (written by BIPOC authors) should not bear the burden of always being extraordinary, inspiring, IMPORTANT. As Denene Milner states in this NYT article Black Kids Don’t Want to Read About Harriet Tubman All the Time.

I confess I have a bookshelf full of “important” books with characters from marginalized communities. I work hard to make sure these books have positive representations that challenge dominant narratives. I also honor the #ownvoices movement and prioritize books by BIPOC authors.  These books are my treasures. But this year my goal is to look for “unimportant” books that aim to entertain young readers. Seeing yourself (and others) in all kinds of books — now that’s important.

You can read the Melinda Lo’s Twitter strand below:

And here is her blog post about the exchange.

What are your favorite UNimportant books (by or about BIPOC and/or other underrepresented communities)?

2 thoughts on “Everyday Representation Matters (and the burden of being “important”)

1. I absolutely love “Julian is a Mermaid” by Jessica Love. So ordinary: an ordinary day, an ordinary feeling of wanting to be oneself, and an (ought to be) ordinarily supportive response from Julian’s abuela. I cannot wait to read it to my young son.

1. It’s one of my favorites too! And for this very reason. What a wonderful celebration of gender fluidity.