All Are Welcome

Written By: Alexandra Penfold

Illustrated By: Suzanne Kaufman

Reviewed By: Hannah Robles (2020-2021)

“In our classroom safe and sound.  Fears are lost and hope is found.  Raise your hand, we’ll go around.  All are welcome here.” 

All Are Welcome shines light into a school where diversity and inclusion are celebrated!  As I began reading this book, I was able to see WHY this has been chosen as the New York Times bestselling picture book.   Alexandra Penfold has beautifully created this book which follows a group of children throughout a day in their school, where everyone is welcomed with open arms; a school where everyone’s differences are loved and celebrated.  As you read through All Are Welcome, there is a strong presence of different types of race, religions, ethnicity, and body types.  These differences are celebrated as the repeated message says, “All Are Welcome Here!”.

All Are Welcome is a book that should be present in every classroom library.  While the message in today’s world has been so destructive to those that may feel different from others, this book changes that narrative.  With purchasing this book, YOU choose to counteract the negative message.  This book reminds students that they are all welcome.  This book is perfect for a beginning of the school year read as it allows students to feel comfortable while they are in your class.

Overall, if you are looking for a book that celebrates diversity and inclusion … this is it!  Both the storyline and positive messages given throughout lets your students know that ALL ARE WELCOME.

One thought on “All Are Welcome

1. I have been looking for a diversity book about school that has a positive message without it being about bullying. I’m going to check this one out for a class assignment.