How Mamas Love Their Babies

Written by Juniper Fitzgerald

Illustrated by Elise Peterson

Reviewed by Melody Falleur-Fettig (2020-2021)

I’ve never read a book that displays the raw nature of being a mother as the book How Mamas Love Their Babies does.  Centered around the idea that a mother uses her whole body, from pregnancy and beyond, to care for her child, the author celebrates diversity in many ways. 

The vivid, multi-media illustrations depict life the way that it truly is — showing people from all walks of life, providing for their babies.  It feels rare to read a book that reflects the lived experience of many children who have a mother who works at a restaurant, cleans other people’s homes, works on a farm or is a dancer.  The accurate portrayal of a mother’s life is a love note to the children who hear this book.  This story is sure to provide both windows and mirrors for the students in a classroom.  Unfortunately, some content within this book may cause a strong reaction from certain people.  Although I find it very disappointing, a book showing that a mother can have a job as a stripper could elicit a response. There is also an image of a mother breast feeding. I would recommend that a teacher know their students’ families, and the potential reaction to this representation, before presenting it to students. 

I plan to use this book in an anti-bias lesson and/or community building activity where children are encouraged to explore their family lives and to appreciate all forms of feminism mutually.  Students who explore this book have the potential to develop positive social identities based on their membership in multiple groups in society (a Teaching Tolerance Identity Anchor Standard). The book is linguistically appropriate for Kindergarten to Fourth Grade but able to evolve for older readers.

If you are looking for a book that will mean something to students who are underrepresented, this one is worth checking out!

Here is the author giving a TED talk about feminism and the importance of erasing the stigma associated with women in the sex industry.  A thoughtful watch if you wonder whether this book is appropriate to read to children.

One thought on “How Mamas Love Their Babies

1. This TED talk is wonderful — thank you!

I absolutely love that there are two reviews of one of my favorite books in our first batch of 2020-2021.