Malcolm Little: The Boy Who Grew Up To Be Malcolm X

Do you remember learning about Malcolm X in school? I know that I had never heard his name until I was in college. Malcolm X is often described as the sword to Martin Luther King Jr.’s shield, but his legacy stands alone as an incredible organizer for the Nation of Islam, fierce advocate for the advancement of Black people, and an early, outspoken adversary of White supremacy and police brutality. There is no question that the modern Black Lives Matter movement would not exist today without the influence of Malcolm X. 

But, because of Malcolm’s religion and radical positions on race relations and White supremacy he is often left out of civil rights conversations at school. This book is an amazing way to introduce Malcolm X to your students. Written by Malcolm’s daughter, Ilyasah Shabazz, after her father’s murder, this book describes Malcolm’s childhood in rich detail. Malcolm’s life was full of heartbreak: his father was murdered by the KKK, and then he and his siblings were taken as wards of the state before he began attending a school where he was the only Black student. These experiences are presented plainly so that students can peer into the world that Malcolm lived in and draw their own conclusions about the implications of these events on shaping Malcolm.  

Malcolm also lived a childhood filled with simple pleasures: he goes fishing, savors his momma’s cooking and marvels at butterflies. This book presents the childhood of someone who changed the world as extraordinary because it was ordinary. At times Malcolm’s childhood looked very different from our students, but there are also many parts of his story that students can relate to. Drawing connections to Malcolm’s childhood will hopefully help our students see themselves as future change makers in our world.

3 thoughts on “Malcolm Little: The Boy Who Grew Up To Be Malcolm X

1. I love this. Malcom X was a fierce leader and I would be so happy to present his childhood self to my students so they can believe themselves also capable of influencing justice and action.

2. This is awesome! I definitely agree that Malcolm X gets erased from most civil rights conversations in the classrooms I’ve been around. So this is very exciting to see there’s a book out there that can rectify that. Thanks for the review!

3. I definitely remember learning about Malcom X in high school, but I just remember learning about his accomplishments as an adult. I really believe that by sharing the experiences of historical figures as young children, we are showing our students that everyone starts out as a kid, and you get to decide how you want to make your mark on this world, whether it be big or small. Great find, Sadie!