Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968

Written by: Alice Faye Duncan
Illustrated by: R. Gregory Christie
Reviewed by: Macey Putnam (2020-2021)

Mountaintop

Dream big.

Walk tall.

Be strong.

March on. 

Don’t quit.

Never stop.

Climb up the MOUNTAINTOP!

As the title details, Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968  is written from the perspective of a young girl named Lorraine Jackson as she expresses her experiences of the Sanitation Strike. Lorraine’s father is one of many Black sanitation workers in Memphis that has to deal with insanely low wages and horrible working conditions. February 12th, 1968, was the final straw for Lorraine’s father and 1300 other sanitation workers when two men were killed by a malfunctioning garbage truck while working. Each page of the story illustrates Lorraine’s experiences such as the immense pride she felt while marching with her mother and father to the financial burden her family felt during the strike.

Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop offers an in-depth timeline of the events that occurred from February 12th to April 16th.

Although Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968 follows a fictional character it writes about the true events of the sanitation strike and Martin Luther King Jr.’s last days advocating for Black civil rights. His death is a tragic and momentous part in the story, but it is not the sole focus. Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop emphasizes the climb that advocacy is, “Dreamers don’t quit. When challenges arise, dreamers keep on climbing.” This story is a true inspiration for everyone to advocate for what you believe in and climb that mountain top.

4 thoughts on “Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968

1. An enormous pit opened up in my stomach when I read the title of this book. I’m glad that it’s not solely about Dr. Martin Luther King’s assassination, though getting the background about this story is important for students.
    Dr. MLK was an incredible advocate for worker’s rights, but I think people forget that the Memphis worker’s also fought relentlessly for their rights. I am glad this combines these two stories together. I definitely want to check this out.

1. The book is also available for check out at the Multnomah County Library e-book site! Such an amazing resource.

2. Macey,
    I love that you highlight the scope of the book and that it is told from the perspective of Lorraine Jackson.