Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin

Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin
Written and Illustrated by Duncan Tonatiuh
Reviewed by Jane Lyons
Upper Elementary Picturebook

This children’s book tells the story of two cousins. Charlie lives in the United States, and Carlitos lives in Mexico. They write to each other about their lives in hopes that they can meet together in person one day. Throughout the story, the two cousins share a back and forth letter about their home. This encompasses how they get to school, the various types of food they eat, and simple details like describing when they are done with their homework. Although the two boys’ lives appear to be different in many ways, the cousins have more in common than it seems.

I love reading this story to grades 3-5 because this book holds layers that can be unpacked with older grades surrounding immigration. Most importantly, each page is filled with rich illustrations and text, embodying the essential qualities of a picture book. Additionally, there is a glossary of Spanish words at the end of this book, allowing the reader to understand Carlitos’s interspersed Spanish. And finally, there is an author’s note below the glossary, letting the reader know more about the author learning where he drew his inspiration.

Overall, Dear Primo: A Letter to my Cousin is a must to include in a classroom library. This book incorporates everyday representation, BIPOC characters, and family bonds that unite these two cousins. Children will continually pick this book up over and over again, discovering new findings to each cousin’s identity.

2 thoughts on “Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin

1. Thanks for this review, Jane! I’m toying around with the idea of a lesson sequence on letter-writing. Do you think this would work to include?

2. Hi Jane! Thank you for sharing this book. I think this would be great to include in a unit about diversity. I will be bookmarking this one for sure!