I Am Every Good Thing

Written by Derrick Barnes
Illustrated by Gordon C. James
Reviewed by Mary Bishop

Picture Book / Concept Book

This book radiates Black boy brilliance! The illustrations are painted in a gestural nature with bright colors that exude action and life. The narrator is a young boy who is conveying his multifaceted self – a spirited, masculine, confident, go-getter. He also demonstrates, in giving the reader a glimpse of his vulnerable side, the many-sided nature of Black masculinity. From concrete examples of the narrator skateboarding, dreaming of science, and helping his grandmother, to lyrical metaphors of moonbeams and cinnamon roll centers, this book reads like slam poetry.

In my 2nd grade class we listened to the book on youtube, narrated by Mr. Steven. I wonder, would a white woman reading this book aloud detract from the listener’s experience? It’s gratifying to read a book written by a Black male author who’s words, cadence, and illustrations exude the male role model energy that all children crave. 

Here is a link to Mr. Steven’s read-aloud!

2 thoughts on “I Am Every Good Thing

1. This book looks great–and thank you for sharing the point about a white woman reading it. I think listening to the book as a read aloud on youtube is a perfect choice for this.

2. Mary, you are such an eloquent writer, this is a great review! I now really want to get my hands on this book. I enjoyed Derrick Barnes other book, Crown, for similar reasons as you mention here. The illustrations are mesmerizing in the way they balance real life with a somewhat magical quality, and the message is so empowering. I agree I think it is important for students to see teacher’s of color who are male (and also female!), when unfortunately it is such a white female dominated profession. There needs to be representation of teachers of color so that students of color can see the profession as an option for them and see themselves reflected in the story AND the teacher. As white females in the profession, we have to find ways to give these mirrors to our students of color and it seems like Mr. Steven’s read aloud is one way to do that. Thank you for this!