Magnificent Homespun Brown

Written by Samara Cole Doyon & illustrated by Kaylani Juanita

Reviewed by Sofia Puorro

A common topic in elementary school settings is a child’s favorite color. It is a question we ask children as a way to get to know them and it is a salient theme in children’s books, but it isn’t often that we see books about the color brown.

Magnificent Homespun Brown is a celebration of the beauty and depth of this color. It is a collection of poems written by Haitian-American author, Samara Cole Doyon, that describe the power and splendor of brown objects and Brown and Black people. The poetry is fluid and melodic, accompanied by dream-like illustrations that capture the magic in the words.

This book is appropriate for all ages, both lower and upper elementary. I think it could be an incredible tool for opening conversations about race and identity in addition to introducing poetry. It has a range of challenging and potent vocabulary and powerful similes that could inform a lesson in poetic writing. In addition to depictions of Black individuals and families, there is a range of diversity in ability and religion seamlessly woven into the illustrations, which could inspire classroom discussions about identity and representation.  There are many layers to this book, both in the writing and in the illustrations, and I think it should be read and re-read in order to peel back a new layer each time.

I plan to use this book in the future to kick-start a lesson on writing odes to oneself. With my 5th graders, I hope to use this book as a tool to delve deeper into the topic of identity and marginalization and begin to explore the ways we can celebrate ourselves through poetry.

4 thoughts on “Magnificent Homespun Brown

1. I LOVE the idea of using this book as a mentor text for exploring and creating poetry, and discussing topics of marginalization with students. It truly is so versatile!

2. I agree with Erin about the versatility of the book, and I can easily picture this being used in primary grades when talking about favorite colors, in conversations related to identity and diversity, around the fall season, and in the context of beginning to learn about poetry. Also – that front cover! What a ray of sunshine to display in class.