Radiant Child : The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat

Written and Illustrated by Javaka Steptoe
Reviewed by Mary Bishop

Winner of the Caldecott Medal and the Coretta Scott King Award, this wonderful picture book tells the story of Jean-Michel’s early life as an artist. Steptoe’s accolades are well deserved, his sparse and poetic word choice evoke the bold and alluring style of Basquiat himself. He also turns a complex tale of following one’s heart, dealing with life’s hardships, and celebrating one’s surroundings into comprehensible input for kids all while evoking the energy, sound, color, and diversity of Brooklyn and New York City. Steptoe also deftly uses front and back (of the book) matter to share more nuanced details about Basquiat’s life and inspiration.

Rather than featuring the artwork of Basquiat himself, Steptoe creates his own interpretation of Basquiat’s artwork. In Steptoe’s ‘about the author’, he talks about his use of collage and paint on found wood objects “to invite my readers to create using the materials, people, and places in their environment”. Steptoe’s invitation to act and beautiful demonstration of action is fabulous for starting conversations with children about art, activism, symbolism, and the importance of self expression. I recommend this book to any grown-up who wants a side of art history with their read-aloud. More importantly, the strong voice and style of this narrator and his subject (Basquiat) counters popular narratives in terms of its representation of BIPOC, a male artist, mental health, and socio-economic status.

2 thoughts on “Radiant Child : The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat

1. Oooo this looks amazing! I’m going to check it out. I wonder if you could do an art project to go along with it?

2. Your review is so thorough and eloquently written. Jean-Michel Basquiat is in the Little People, BIG DREAMS series that I have but it is a very simple bio. Although it’s probably a great intro for kids, your book seems to be a deeper dive into Basquiat’s humanity and I’m really happy I got to see this. Literally looking it up online right now.