Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights by Rob Sanders

Reviewed by Lily Hergenhan (2019)

Children have an inherent interest is standing up for what’s right, and they are gifted with the power to fearlessly share their passion for justice.

The book Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights is a beautiful ABC children’s book that has a different type of activism on every page. Though these words are not defined in the text they are depicted and strongly supported by stunning illustrations. There is also a glossary in the back that defines each term.

What I love about this book is that it is a developmentally appropriate introduction to the many ways we see activism all around us. Though I do not advocate for teaching students the sugar-coated / oppressive idea that activism and movements (especially when peoples’ lives and human rights are in immediate danger) must be “peaceful” to be respected/ effective, I think this book is a good introduction to activism for primary grades which can open the door for deep and meaningful discussion, as well as encouraging students to act on their passion for justice.

I plan to use this book in my 1st grade integrated social studies unit about leaders and change-makers. I HIGHLY recommend adding this book to your classroom library or to give as a gift to a child in your life.